Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Journey to Sicily

TUESDAY

I woke up earlier that morning than usual to pack my bag, prepared an omelets and some fruits for the trip before heading to work. I left the office right after my lunch break. I was already in Milan Centrale at 14,30, 2 hours too early for my next train..Therefore, I decided to go for a last minute shopping at H&M for sunglasses. (Even though in the end I bought more than a pair of sunglasses... but hey! SALES in on!)

The train was full, it always is during summer period - packed with families or young people from the south who works in the north of Italy. In my cuccette-6 compartment (which is compartment with 6 bunk beds) there were 2 old women and a pair of sisters arguing while I got there, of where and how to arrange their luggages. The train is yet to depart, and I already found myself in bad companies..

The rest of the trip, I hd fun listening to their conversation. They were being very sarcastic to one another. Old lady braged that she loves Milan because she has a very big house and all her children are settled, with good husband and good paying job, that she is working at the most prestigious bride house and everyone loves her...Old lady B and the sisters insisted that they would never ever live in Milan even if the house is big as a palace, because the city itself sucks... so they prefer the countryside.. Then they argue that there's no Milanese anymore because most of them are children of Italian from the south. They talked and talked, attacking one another most of the time. While me and another Brazilian girl listened..

In the evening, one of the sister started to shout at old lady A. She wanted the door to stay open but old lady A wanted it to be closed at all time. She has bought a lot of ‘gold’ with her*wink wink*...then they started to insult one another... I was already on my bunk bed.. reading the novel I bought, and eventually fell asleep....